Sustaining improvements everyday…everywhere…everyone
When does change happen?
When RESISTANCE to change is overcome
Elements for change overpower RESISTANCE to change
Change is not always welcome, understood or painless…. Most of the time it is wise to assume that there will be resistance to change !
• At some point in the journey..
• From some sections (people, function, stakeholders)
• For some reasons…(all justified in the resistors view point)
The tipping point for change
Dissatisfaction + Vision + First Steps > Resistance to Change
The above 3 elements must add up to be greater than the resistance !!
• Grater the pain, greater the DESIRE to change
• If pain not felt, show the pain!
• Show joy to help people see that they are far from joy or that they are in pain!
• Find unrealized needs
• No known pain, then you find passive resistance
• Often people think that if ‘I’ am dissatisfied then all are !
• Leaders dissatisfaction does not mean entire companies dissatisfaction
Having understood dissatisfaction, note
Dissatisfaction without VISION or First Steps = Frustration !
Having understood VISION, not
Vision without Dissatisfaction or First Steps = Wishful Thinking!
Having understood 1st Step, note1st Step without Dissatisfaction or VISION = Failed Start! (or recurring change programs/ starts)
Checklist For Structuring & Sustaining Kaizen/ Lean
Elements of KAIZEN™ structure
Daily KAIZEN™ or Daily gemba Management
The key or secret to sustaining Improved state at the gemba
This is the way to move from Nobody > Somebody > Everyday Kaizens..
1. Top Management : std work is 5-10%
2. Middle: 50%
3. Supervisory: 70-80%
4. Worker: 95%
4 elements of Daily gemba Management
1. leader standard work –all leaders to have defined Std work
2. visuals controls –visual ways of score keeping & capturing gaps (maintained by the doers)
3. daily accountability 3 tier process –way to flag unsolved problems with help from a higher level
4. discipline to follow above three –nobody can help you, if you don’t do it…daily, religiously…..